Celebrating Easter Eve

So its the day before Easter and I'm wearing black. Tomorrow I'll wear colorful spring fashions but today, its black. I suppose that if I were in Jerusalem 1,970 years ago this is what I'd be wearing, at least in my heart since I don't know the mourning customs of that time and place. It would feel hopeless. The guy I had just pinned all my hopes on for salvation would be dead. He'd be lying in a tomb somewhere ready for embalming. The spiritual movement I was a part of now seems over and pointless. Fortunately it didn't end there.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to church wearing bright colors and celebrating. Why? Because Jesus didn't just sit in a tomb and rot. If that was the end of the story my whole religion wouldn't have that much going for it. My key "prophet" would have died like all the other leaders that started every other religion out there. But He didn't he rose again!

Jesus died to atone for our sins and I'd never detract from that. But I don't like wearing crucifixes or crosses. For me that's not what its about, the story didn't end there. He rose from the dead! Praise God that Jesus died for my sins, but I'm not gonna leave him up there on that cross. He's alive and seated at the right hand of the Father and through that ressurection power, and my commitment to Him, I have life everlasting. I have the same God living in me that rose Himself from the dead. Therefore I am empowered to live my life in a positive and Holy way. That's something I never could have done on my own, I know because I tried.

So Happy Easter Everybody! Remember what its about.

No comments: